If your website visitors input confidential or sensitive data onto forms on your website, you may not want SessionCam to record this.
If you disable the recording of form fields SessionCam will still capture the number of characters your users have entered into fields, but not the actual characters.
For example, if a visitor entered "Test" into a field, we would know that they entered four characters, but these would be represented as stars in the replay rather than the specific characters they entered.
The two methods of defining which form fields should not be recorded are outlined under the next subheadings. You can use either method.
If your field uses HTML5 (the latest version of Hypertext Markup Language) 'numbers', we will show any masked data as a single 0. This is because field validation rules restrict adding a non-numeric character to the field.
Option 1: Define the field privacy from within the console
You can star out specific fields by setting up rules within the SessionCam console. You need to know the HTML name of a field to do this.
You have the following options:
- Record all fields on your hostname
- Star out all fields on your hostname
- Star out specific fields on your hostname
To achieve the above:
- Log into the SessionCam console.
- Click "Manage" from the Left Hand Navigation.
- Select "Hostnames".
- Click the "Manage" button next to the hostname.
- Select the relevant option in the "Privacy options" select box.
- If you select "Star out specific text fields”, you will be presented with an additional text field. Enter the HTML name of the field that you want to star out. If you have multiple fields, click the "+add another" link.
- When starring out specific fields, we will star out all the characters entered into a field by default. However, the new select box shown will allow you to record the first/last x characters of a field.
- Click "Save".
Option 2: Define sensitive fields within your HTML code
You can star out specific fields by using the "sessioncamexclude" class on text fields.
For example: <input type="text" class="sessioncamexclude" />
Placing this class will automatically disable the recording of this field.
Why we use automatic field masking
We will automatically mask any form fields that look like they might be an account number, credit card number, or related field, for your security.
If you have any questions about this, contact [email protected].